Our Lady of the Sacred Heart and St. Margaret Mary’s Parish Mission
Our Lady of the Sacred Heart (OLSH) Parish, Randwick, and St. Margaret Mary’s Parish (SMM), Randwick North, are committed to making our parish environments Child Safe. Click here for HANDBOOK for Volunteers, Working with Children, Young Adults and Vulnerable Adults.
OLSH and SMM, are Catholic parishes under the care of the Missionaries of the Sacred Heart (MSC = Missionaires du Sacre Coeur) and share a common heritage and administration in the Archdiocese of Sydney.
The parishes are inspired by the founder of the MSC congregation, French priest Fr Jules Chevalier, whose teachings on the spirituality of the heart, modelled by the Heart of Jesus on earth, focus the way the gospel is proclaimed and lived in our parishes. The patron saints, Our Lady of the Sacred Heart and St. Margaret Mary, are prominent in the life of both parishes and central to the spirituality of our communities.
The parishes are located within a busy urban centre and include two regional Catholic high schools, two parish primary schools, two State primary schools, a large public teaching hospital complex (Prince of Wales Public, Sydney Childrens, Royal Womens, POW Private, Eastern Suburbs Rehab) and aged care facilities.
The area’s population is diverse and multicultural and the parishes draw their membership from a broad cross section of the community. Young people, especially University Students with UNSW nearby, families, singles and the elderly are all well represented.
The community is currently served by a number of religious congregations including the Little Sisters of the Poor, the Daughters of the Our Lady of the Sacred Heart and the Religious of the Sacred Heart (RSCJ).
Within this context we strive to be a faith-filled, welcoming and inclusive Catholic community.
We commit ourselves to:
In this way we seek to become active disciples of Jesus Christ and collaborators in building God’s kingdom in the world.
- Being a vibrant and welcoming worshipping community, focused on the Eucharist as the centre of our parish life;
- Providing avenues for those seeking to learn more about our Catholic faith through conact and support groups.
- Providing well presented sacramental programs and liturgies for baptisms, marriages and funerals
- Supporting those in need including the elderly and the marginalised, vistiation of hospitals and nursing homes.
- A missionary outreach to MSC-OLSH and other communities overseas, especially in Kiribati, South Sudan, South Africa, Namibia and Philippines, effected especially through the MSC Mission Office located at Kensington Monastery.